play online poker

Monday, April 23, 2007

Music to watch the cards go by

Decided to invest in a new Sony MP3 player today. I've owned an ipod for the past couple of years but haven't really been using it lately. Not because its an ipod, just because its big and I haven't been buying many new cd's recently. However being stuck at home with lots of time on your hands you start looking for things to do (beyond poker obv!) and I've started to get back into music.

Decided not to follow the flock and buy another ipod, yes they are great but I have never been impressed with the sound quality and although iTunes is cool I normally buy the CD just for the sake of adding it to my collection so not too fussed about software (Have heard Sony Connect is average at best!)

I've gone for a little flash player rather then a huge 80gb f*cker, I'd rather have something light and portable which I can take to the gym unoticed as opposed to carrying around a small record shop in my bag just for the sake of saying I have every song own on my person! So should arrive tomorrow.


I have quite strange tastes in music, in that I hate commercial music, not a massive fan of anything in the charts and beyond the odd good car song I tend to stay away from it. Part of my fascination with music is discovering new bands, finding great songs, and creating a completely unique soundtrack to my life.

To do that I really love American alt and soft rock, I can't seem to listen to anything UK based, its just a little too punky/indie for me.

Some more famous or at least well known examples of the kind of music I listen to are Matchbox Twenty, Goo Goo Dolls, 3 Doors Down, Third Eye Blind, Counting Crows etc.

Some of the more obscure bands that I would thouroughly recommened if you are up for trying something new and love Rock music would be;

Dakona/Perfect Change - Canadian band Dakona have only released 1 album but it is unreal. Stand out track is 'Waiting'

Vertical Horizon/Everything you want - This band can seriously do no wrong, great songs, great lyrics and amazing music. This is my fave album of theirs but you can do no wrong with any of them. Stand out track, 'Everything you want'

Lifehouse/Lifehouse - Again, this band can do no wrong. Three albums, all 5 stars in my opinion. Standout track, 'Come back Down'.

I've also just bought albums by Greenwheel and Vonray, again, completely based on US Amazon recommendations. I'd never heard of the bands before ordering the CD's so hopefully they'll be good.
If anyone reading knows of some good American alt/soft rock bands then please let me know, totally open to suggestions.

Wombol

5 comments:

Amatay said...

i give up wombol? im thick., dunno wtf i am doing. ive upload to tripod although i couldnt find the web ftp thing u said? still cant do it. frustrating!!!!!!!!!

Dave said...

3 doors down, here without you, classic!

Short-Stacked Shamus said...

Here's one you might like -- a band called Plus/Minus (+/-). I've been enjoying their album Let's Build a Fire. Kind of fits w/some of these bands yr mentioning here, I think.

You can also put poker podcasts on that sucker, too! These days I'm particularly enjoying PokerWire, Ante Up!, Rounders, Beyond the Table, and the Pocket Fives podcast.

Enjoy!

Short-Stacked Shamus said...

Oh, and the Doves are pretty good, as well.

As is Keep Flopping Aces (poker podcast).

Wombol said...

thanks shamus ill check out the bands and the podcasts today. just hope sonys rubbish software is up to the task! beyond the software that little sony is amazing, the sound quaility is a hundred times beter then my tinny, no bass ipod so thouroughly recommend it to anyone.

cheers wombol