play online poker

Friday, March 30, 2007

Pre-pro Poker Challenge

So, as I outlined in my first post when I start my chemo and leave work I'm going to turn 'pro' and rely on poker to get me through the 6 months away from the office. Now since I haven't started chemo, I'm not officially 'pro' (not that I'll ever be in the same league as the actual pro's, so tenuos terminology anyway!!) so I thought I would set myself a little challenge. Can I turn a $100 profit from $0.25/$0.50 NLH cash tables. Now this obvioulsy isn't going to be an amazing feat but those tables are nasty for suck outs thanks to many calling stations and rank amatuers so I figured that if I could actually complete this I'd tighten up my game, hopefully plug some leaks and start my quest on a winning run.

I kicked things off this morning and played for an hour or so and turned a small profit. There were only really 2 eventful hands as shown below;

Pocket Jacks beating pocket 4's - Do you see what I mean about calling stations!! Madness, but great for me!

Then about 40 hands later I pick up pocket Q's. I can't say I'm a big fan of queens but the flop was helpful for once and I took the pot on the turn.

So given session 1 of the pre-poker pro challenge I am $87.45 shy of my target!

Correction : $77.65 to go

This is going in the right direction!!

Wombol

3 comments:

Simon Young said...

The very best of luck to you.

PP said...

Good luck with everything on and off the table. I'll keep reading.

In the mean-time you should read 'positively fifth street' by James McManus. Its 1/2 poker 1/2 journalist-covering-a-murder-trial but its a fantastic book.

Small Stakes Poker said...

Nice start, Right direction is always good.. One step at a time :)
gl mate.
Paul