play online poker

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Poker Reading

So I'm currently reading a book called 'The Big Deal' by Anthony Holden and I got to thinking about the next book I'm going to read, and then on to all the poker books I have read and thought it might be good to share my thoughts. With that, if anyone has read a particular poker related book that I haven't included (the list isn't that large!) then please share. As you know, I'm going to have a lot of time on my hands in the coming months so some good reading material is essential!!

Right, here we go, and in no particular order;

Syper System by Doyle 'Texas Dolly' Brunson + guests
The original version, not the re-hashed SS2. I have to say that yes, this is a fantastic book and as a read for an intermediate player it opened up so many new ways of thinking that would have taken me years and a lot of money to figure our on my own. However the one downfall with this book, and its not the books fault, is that everyone has read it and it means many of the players you are up against play the way that is outlined in the book. This can be problematic as its very hard to judge where you are in a hand if everyone is aggressively betting a flush or straight draw, or you are continuation betting a missed hand and people start playing back because they know what you are thinking and don't have a hand themselves! Overall though, thouroughly recommended.

Small Stakes Hold 'em: Winning Big with Expert Play by David Slansky et al.
This book is tough going. It was the second book I read after picking up poker and its hard work. Its very mathmatical and derives everything from a plays Expected Value. However even though its hard going the book does try to deliver its principles in a simple enough fashion and there are some great insights into the statistical side of the game. My only problem is that its totally focussed on Limit Holdem.

Poker Tournament Formula by Arnold Snyder
This book takes a look at poker tournaments from a completely different angle then some of the other great books like Harrington and Slansky's. Having said that its focus on the blind structure and tornie speed really doesn't give you enough wepons in your armour to be successful. Recently Poker Player magazine invested $150 in online tornies to see of the principles worked and they made a return of $0. I would say that if you can borrow this then its worth a read. This book cannot give you a full tornie strategy that will work but will give you more wepons and another way of thinking when playing.

Texas Holdem Poker: Begin and Win by Paul Mendelson
I love this book. For anyone that wants to read a short and concise book on the basic principles of poker play then this is the book for you. Dirt cheap as well!!

The Professor, the banker and the suicide king by Michael Craig
I love this book!! Its basically an account of the richest poker game of all time between Texas billionaire Andy Beal and a consortium of Vegas pro's that pooled their bankrolls to play at the highest stakes ever seen. The book is extremely well written and really captures the tensions and feel of the games. I would definitly recommend everyone reads this as its a great true story but it will also spark some ideas for your game.

One of a Kind: The Rise and Fall of Stuey ', the Kid', Ungar, the World's Greatest Poker Player by Nolan Dalla
Another factual book following the cursed life if Stuey Ungar, an amazingly gifted card player who had the world in his hand but turned to the destructive powers of drugs. This book recounts his life, his games, his wins, his losses and his tragedy. Its compelling and heartfelt and the poker world was lucky to have him, even though all to briefly. Please read this book as it is worth the investment and you will be amazed at some of Stu's plays and reads. He was remarkable!

Books on the shelf ready to read;

The Big Deal by Anthony Holden. Reading this now, I will post a review soon

Holdem Wisdom for All Players by Daniel Negreanu. Kid Poker is, in my opinion a true star and I think this book will really help clarify some areas and push my game on.

Harrington on Hold 'em: Expert Strategy for No Limit Tournaments: Strategic Play v. 1 by Dan Harrington. This is a big one, better prepar myself!

The Education of a Poker Player by Herbert O.Yardley. This is a classic and am really looking forward to reading about Herberts life playing poker during the war.

As I say, any recommendations are more then welcome and I hope you find some of this useful.

Wombol

2 comments:

Short-Stacked Shamus said...

Hey there, wombol. Thanks for stopping by HBP -- I'll link you up here shortly.

Am actually currently reading Yardley & like it a lot. (Will probably post about it here in the near future.) I'm a big fan of Holden's book, too -- enjoy!

Marky said...

Hi Wombol,
Good luck with your health.
I'd be happy to link you up to my blog and would be grateful if you'd do the same.
GL at the tables!
Marky